Thursday 10 September 2009

Waving or drowning?*


Isn't this beautiful?

It's an empty waste paper basket.
Here on my blog, it will stay empty.
Permanently.

As Summer turns to Autumn and the evenings draw in,
my attention is drawn once more to the stuff.

The stuff in drawers, the stuff in cupboards,
the stuff on the floor by the cupboards,
the stuff under the stairs,
the stuff behind chairs,
the stuff under desks,
the stuff on the stuff,
the fluff on the stuff
on the stuff.

The tide has to be turned.

Before
I
am
completely
submerged.

* Not Waving but Drowning by Stevie Smith 1957

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you there.. there is stuff stuffed with stuff. This is an exceptionally stuffy house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking today how I need to de-clutter, once again! I plan on starting tomorrow:)

    ReplyDelete