Thursday 13 August 2009

Each peach, pear, plum


This has been a good year for the old pear tree.
It overhangs our fence
and drops large hard green pears into our garden.
A fair exchange for all the weeds I think.

We planted a Victoria plum and it has just started to crop in the last couple of years.
A glut for us is a dozen plums.

But this - we never expected.
When I was ready to call it a day on the other side of the fence,
I glimpsed three fuzzy pale yellow fruits
hanging from a feeble little tree.

It hardly seems possible, but in that dank, east facing,
weed infested garden
in England,

a peach tree has grown.

Just like that.

3 comments:

  1. Aahh, Each Peach Pear Plum.. now there is a memory from childhood. I still know all the words! I think working for the Early Learning Centre helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the ELC. I wonder what my last purchase from them was. Of course I didn't realise at the time that it would be my last visit. Overnight a stage of child rearing was over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We loved that book, too, and yes, that's the way it goes -- overnight.

    ReplyDelete