Tuesday 9 October 2018

Places to find some peace and (relative) quiet



Turtle spotting in Central Park.




A trip on the tramway (actually a cable car) 
over the East River to Roosevelt Island.
Very little to do there
but a stroll to the Four Freedoms Park
was pleasant enough and completely deserted.


The outright winner for tranquility was the Met Cloisters.






Monarch butterflies in the Conservatory Garden.


Purl Soho. A pilgrimage to see the knitting shop of online fame.

It was certainly quiet in there. Somnolent even.
I had to ask someone to help me 
because nothing is labelled for brand, composition or price.
After a short discussion and vague hand waving at the shelves,
 the young woman turned away, as I thought, 
to show me a pattern but to my consternation
fell into another assistant's arms for a prolonged embrace, 
much back stroking and murmurs of consolation.
I stood behind her wondering what I had done to trigger this collapse.
Eventually she straightened and wandered over to the rack. 

I came away empty-handed.

2 comments:

  1. Particularly love the second photo - wonderful contrast - modern world upside down...
    Nice to know there's so much peace to be found amongst the bustle. Sorry your wool pilgrimage was disappointing though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. parallel universe in that wool shop?

    ReplyDelete